Monday, June 2, 2008

Chalk and talk, Tanzania style


Monday morning was crisp and sunny as I met my friends at Lugalo School during their daily 7:30 am assembly. (Most of the school is on break this week except for the Form 5 and Form 6 students.) After the students sang their school song and listened to announcements I was off to the classroom with the Second Headmaster Mr. Kanyama. My charge for the morning was to conduct a lesson for a Form 5 class on idioms and proverbs. (I had let it slip that I used to teach while in NYC so my new Tanzanian friends took the opportunity to get me back in front of the chalkboard.) My demonstrative and interactive teaching style was quite different from what the students were used to (I think that many teachers here sit while teaching) but I had them out of their seats, writing on the chalkboard, working in groups, presenting in front of their peers and most of all, LAUGHING while learning. Surprisingly enough I did not have as much trouble managing this class of 64 as I had thought. The were all enthusiastic, attentive and cooperative.

During a mid-morning tea break with a few of the teachers we talked about common issues of how to motivate our students, how to discipline positively (and legally) and ways in which to keep your sanity while working with classes of 70-80 students...quite a challenge. In the afternoon I took a tour of the facilities. I was surprised to learn that Lugalo has a sustainable agriculture program on campus, raising tilapia in four fish farms and growing their own vegetables--definitely something we could learn from in the States! The high point was the hour and a half spent with the 12 students involved in our Web transmissions. They were full of questions about America and Saint Stephen's and had very helpful suggestions on how to improve our program next year.
After a quick visit up to Tumaini University to visit our friend Lucas Mwahombela the rest of the afternoon was spent with the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese. He has been instrumental in the support of the new Internet Library of the Kichangani Student Center and is making great strides to support the mission of Global Outreach. I look forward to a continued relationship with this kind and gentle man as we move forward with my Bradenton Rotary Club's sponsorship of a Computer Library at the center.

Another lovely end to the day with Angelina as we shared chocolate and talked about our families. Although I am getting acclimated in my new surrounding I realized I miss my loved ones and wish they were with me to share this incredible adventure. More tomorrow...stay tuned!

2 comments:

heymoo said...

The sustainable agriculture program sounds fascinating! How does it work with the students?

Toni said...

Just to let you know that Elliott is well and well fed and petted--he greets me at the door whenever I come over. What an eye opener this trip is--keep up the great "blogs".--Toni