Saturday, June 7, 2008

What it's all about


Those who know me know that I am very tender-hearted and occasionally shed a few tears. I managed to hold it together my first day here, yes ONE whole day, but each day seems to bring something wonderful (and sometimes heartbreaking) that set the waterworks going. Yesterday was no exception due to the fact it was the culmination of all of the work that has been done for months and months.


As you know from my previous entries, a slight change of plans in the Minister of Education's schedule caused us to shift things around a bit for the dedication, but at long last, the event that we had been waiting for finally arrived. Stan, Miraji and I pulled up to Lugalo a bit before 2:00 to see all of the students and teachers turned out in their best dress with shining faces. When the Minister arrived the children launched into song as the silver Land Rover with Tanzanian flags unfurled made its way to the entrance.


The Minister, Professor Maghembe is very articulate, VERY passionate about education and quick to smile and laugh. We talked in great length about the Web cast transmissions between Saint Stephen's and Lugalo. The students of the Culture Club made a wonderful presentation on all of the topics we covered through the course of the year, and I showed excerpts from the video of yesterday's art class. As we figured, the Minister was quite pleased with our efforts but really wanted to hear from the students themselves. The group's leaders, Nancy and Victoria, and a Form 1 student, Janet, spoke about how this relationship has helped them with their written and spoken English and how they look forward to seeing more of their Saint Stephen's "friends" during our next school year.


After that it was off to another school, Iringa Girls', where the students demonstrated the various computer applications they use in their lab. Our goal is to set Iringa Girls' up with another school in Florida so that they may hold Skype classes, as well.


The Minister was beaming at this point, so off to the dedication we went. As we drove up to the Student Centre we saw hundreds of people gathered outside, singing and dancing and cheering. A roar went over the crowd as the Minister made his way through the receiving line and into the Library.


After an official ribbon-cutting and private demonstration of the Library's capabilities we headed into the assembly room for a series of motivating thank-yous. There was not an empty seat in the house and many tears of joy, me included, as Stan told the group that we are "the viongozi wa viongozi" the leaders of the leaders. I kept thinking to myself, this is what it's all about, this is the future of education in Tanzania, and I can't believe that my presence of God's green earth actually played a bit part here.


We ended the night with a formal dinner at the church hall. Stan and I were seated at the head table with the Minister and other officials while rows and rows of spectators watched us while they held their plates in their laps. (It's a custom in this country but one that I am certainly not used to. A bit like being a zoo animal.)


Angelina and I stayed up late to re-cap the day's events and watch the film "Winged Migration." I fell asleep when my head hit the pillow, no pages of The Audacity of Hope tonight.


Saturday morning the team attended a private breakfast with the Minister to discuss tentative plans for the schools for next year, then Stan and I headed to the office to type up press announcements and answer e-mail. (Everyone works seven days a week here.) My dear friend Barbara will arrive on the bus from Dar later this afternoon, then we will head to our friend Lucas' home for dinner this evening.


More tomorrow, I'm sure...stay tuned! Oh, here's a clip of the Minister dancing after the ceremony...check out those moves!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paula,
That is priceless stuff... especially the video. Thank you so much for doing this... I am following your blog every few days...
Glad to hear and see the progress.
See you when you get back!
Sylvia