Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Just another day at the office...


Stress, glitches, problems...these things are universal, no matter your location. For the past day and a half the Global Outreach team (of which now I am an official member) have been scurrying to prepare for the Tanzanian Minister of Education and Vocational Training's visit to Iringa on Thursday and the dedication of the Kichangani Student Center on Friday. I am coming face-to-face with the fact that the little hiccups we experience in the States operate on a much bigger scale here. When the Internet goes down, you lose your primary source of communication with the outside world. When the telephone guys show up to fix the Internet (after cajoling five of your closest Tanzanian friends to call and PLEAD with them to come today, not next week) BOOM, your power has gone out. You run to the power company office and ask for them to fix the problem to learn that someone forgot to pay the bill. And the someone who was supposed to pay the bill is at a funeral in a village far away. That is just another day at the office here.

I have been busy running back and forth between the Global Outreach office and Kichangani pretty much non-stop. Stan and I have manged to finish a Power Point, write his speech for the dedication, check in with the schools participating in Thursday's presentation, give tours of the Internet Library to now-curious members of government in addition to dealing with the day-to-day happenings at home in the States. It has all been worth it...the schools are prepared and happy, the Internet Library is wired and up and ready, government officials smiling from ear-to-ear (ALWAYS a good thing.)

The highlight of Tuesday night was dinner at Angelina's with Nancy and Victoria from Lugalo School. Over vegetable pizza (topped with peas, carrots and corn--whatever!) and ice cream we talked about school, their home lives and their plans for the future. Both will take their final exams this summer and hope to start university in the fall...Nancy to study International Relations and Victoria to focus on Journalism. What bright futures these girls will have!

My Swahili is picking up. I have learned to say "NO" firmly but politely: "hapana." The boys left me alone in the office to work for a bit and pretty soon the neighborhood characters were stopping by to sell me batiks and bananas , show me their wounds (gross) in hopes that I would maybe slip them a little cash. I finally had to shut the door so that I could work uninterrupted...same as at home, I guess!

I am looking forward to seeing my friends at Saint Stephen's on Thursday during our Web transmission at Lugalo. (I miss everyone so much and am sure to start boo-hooing when I see them over the Skype.)

Looking forward to sharing the excitement of the next two days with all of you...stay tuned!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Paula-
I love reading your daily blogs from Tanzania and hearing about Lugalo School. Very captivating stories! I have met with Dave and he showed me how the Skype will work for my M.C. Escher drawing lesson on Thursday. I am all set and can't wait for the webcast presentation.
Leslie DeZiel

Unknown said...

Dear Paula,
What fun it is to read your blog! Keep up the great stories. I love the necklace they gave you! Deanna

Leslie said...

Paula-
I love reading your daily blogs from Tanzania and hearing about Lugalo School. Very captivating stories! I have met with Dave and he showed me how the Skype will work for my M.C. Escher drawing lesson on Thursday. I am all set and can't wait for the webcast presentation.
Leslie DeZiel