Sunday, June 1, 2008

Homecoming


Sundays in Iringa revolve around church…it’s a big deal. Stan told me that there would be a special Mass at the Catholic Church this morning because the Bishop was visiting. The Bishop actually lives in town so it was really more of a guest appearance, but a big deal just the same. This Mass would be in Swahili and Stan thought I would enjoy it because the singing is magnificent and Angelina would be one of the featured speakers.

The Mass was beautiful and the singing unlike anything I’d ever heard—truly breathtaking. Angelina’s talk earned a warm round of applause—wish I knew what she said. Unfortunately, the Mass was a little on the LONG side, three-and-a-half hours to be exact. We took photos of some of the children afterwards and laughed about how we had earned our spots in heaven.

From the church we walked over to the Kichangani Student Center to check on the progress of the Internet Library and Stan’s new Global Outreach office. The office is coming along much quicker than anticipated; in fact, the electrician was finishing up his work today.

In the afternoon we went over to the Lugalo Secondary School which is the school Saint Stephen’s has been holding Web cam transmissions with over the course of the year. I was excited to see the school and finally meet the headmaster, teachers and students in person.

This turned out to be no “pop in.” When we pulled up in front we were met by a group of smiling faces singing songs of welcome. After shaking hands with all of these familiar faces (so cool to see them in person!) I was presented with a traditional Katanga of the Masai tribe along with a beautiful necklace and bracelet representing the Tanzanian flag. Stan was given a special shirt adorned with photos of Tanzanian animals. I was led to Headmaster Francis Mwachombe’s office and signed the official guest book, then off to a surprise celebration in honor of Saint Stephen’s. We were entertained by songs and endearing speeches by students and teachers and during a delicious meal of roast chicken, somosas and baked bananas I had the chance to move from table to table to chat with everyone in attendance. Over and over I heard how much the relationship with Saint Stephen’s had meant to this community, how it gave them a glimpse into the opportunities that lie in their futures. I am not one to cry, but caught myself on the edge of tears during several moments. I cannot remember a time when I felt so safe and warm and loved by people I had just met. When the students asked how I was feeling, I told that I felt as if I was “home,” which gave way to a huge round of applause.

As a write this up I have just spent an hour with Angelina and Stan eating chocolates and recounting the day. I think back to the comments made by my seatmate on the plane from Amsterdam to Dar, that Tanzania is a magical place.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Paula:

Your postings are wonderful, I feel like I am right next to you able to "see" and "feel" every experience. You sound so happy. You are beautiful in the picture and the gifts are so special. Keep the writing coming!! We miss you. Love Jackie, Ted and the 4-legged kids.

Unknown said...

Hi Paula:

Can you give us a look into the life of your students? What do they do after school, what are their aspirations, do they go on dates, and how is family life.

Love lots.